Friday, June 24, 2005

Why should I worship God

"God Fearing", that's what we call people who believe in God.
But is it really the fear of God that drives people to believe in God. Should we worship God just out of fear. Fear that He can Harm us if we don't believe in Him. Fear that some bad thing will happen to us or our near ones if we don't worship. I have heard certain "vrat katha's" where it is being told that so and so showed disrespect to the God and by the next evening he lost all his family and wealth, he didn't eat prasad after the vrat katha and next day he was falsely implicated in a robbery and was arrested, subsequently when he repented, the king had a dream that this man is innocent and should be released. The moral of every vrat katha is that those who do not believe will be ruined, so one must believe in God.
I have always believed in God, not out of fear but because of my upbringing in a religious family. God is our guardian, tvamev maataa ch pita tvamev, I was told. Why fear Him who is my mother and father too, brother and friend too. So I beleived in Him without any fear. I had full faith in His ability to take care of me while I performed my duties towards my family and my society religiously. There had been periods of disbelief like when my dad passed away while he was alone , away on an office tour. I lost faith in God, asking Him why this happened to me even when I always prayed and followed His path . But these periods of disbelief were shortlived, and soon I started visiting temples and keeping my weekly fasts. My regaining of faith was not out of any fear, but because of accepting things as my Fate.
But now, after so many years, I feel that it doesn't matter whether one worships Him or not.I have been religious all my life, never harming any one, and am still struggling to make ends meet, while there are my friends who have risen on the social ladder to great heights by hook or by crook. I have seen people committing all sorts of sin and rising in all fields of life despite God. And I have seen people dedicating their life to the selfless service of mankind, and suffering the whole life. There is no God to punish the sinners and to help the pious. Its all in your mind. If your conscience allows, you can do whatever you feel like. There is no one to fear except your own conscience . God is only a myth created in your mind to restrict you to a set pattern of behavior approved by the society. One can rise or one can fall depending on his deeds. Whether he cares for God or His believers is immaterial.
So I ask myself , Why should I worship God?

No comments: